[CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 22 20:31:53 EST 2002

On 22 Jan 2002 Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:03:31PM -0000, Silver Ward wrote:
> >
> > 2) Don't like the QST content?  Then generate some!  If you have a problem
> > with making a lawn chair into a 6-meter loop, then I must assume that you
> > have some actual ideas for replacing it.  You don't have to be Victor Hugo -
> > the league has good editors to polish up the article.  Here's some topics -
> > talk amongst yourselves; "The Gamma Match - Construction and
> > Implementation", "Amplifer Care and Maintenance",  "Long-Path for the Little
> > Pistol", "Making 1000 QSOs - In One Weekend".  Start typing.  The email
> > address for your submissions is qst at arrl.org and the writer's guide is
> > available at www.arrl.org/qst/aguide.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what the QST editorial board really wants in
> the way of contesting feature articles?  I've published multiple articles in
> the NCJ and CQ Contest that I first sent in to QST.  They were all rejected
> because they featured contesting and contesting was of "limited interest."
>
> --
> Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
> University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
> Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
> Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops
> Austin, TX 78712-1188 USA            http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/

The question should be generalized, and not just apply to contesting.
I submitted an article about an early packet radio system (Digicom for
the C-64) back in 1987. QST rejected it. 73 publshed it. As a result, I
provided about 5000 copies of software and sold 3000 PC boards/parts
kits, over several years to follow.
Barry W2UP--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com