[CQ-Contest] What the ARRL Board did

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av at contesting.com
Thu Jan 24 00:30:50 EST 2002

Unfortunately it's not a dead horse. Just some of the public becoming
tired of the same headlines.

I have spent my time in the ARRL. Both Gary and I put in the time as
the Section Manager of ENY. So it's not the ignorant outsider calling
the professional insider dirty names.

Go ahead and laugh it off, but what Gary is complaining about is the
same thing that has been wrong for all these years, save the bright
time when W4KFC was president, and some of this in-crowd stuff began
to abate.

Alas, the transformation he would have accomplished was cut off by his
untimely death, and things reverted to "normal".

The problem is that the Board thinks that they are supposed to decide
themselves, and overall do a terrible job of really involving the
membership in directions, etc. ("Professional" polls notwithstanding.)
Having a procedure on paper is not the same thing as having the pulse
of the people. There are individual bright spots (WARC, etc), not a
bright corporate attitude.

After stomping around in that ARRL barnyard for 40+ years, and paying
my dues money & otherwise, I'm not impressed when someone takes a
dried out horse patty, pours molasses on it and offers it as a
pancake.

I am absolutely sure, that without all the ruckus, the contesting
community was getting horse and molasses. The ruckus is what will give
us the good solution sifted from the junk. It is also quite clear,
coming back by more channels than the reflectors, that there are those
up there who are really peeved that we got involved. We will do OK
now, as long as we don't let those who are tired of the subject keep
us from pursuing this to a good conclusion. There are some really good
ideas involving a revised internet/magazine mix.

If the only way to get the ARRL to respond is with a court case that
will somehow get past insider objections, it's as good as dead long
term.

Truth be, vitriol ala Gary is sometimes the only way to get their
attention.

Rock on, Gary. You earned it.