[CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

Tom Frenaye frenaye at pcnet.com
Tue Jan 29 09:42:29 EST 2002

At 09:45 AM 1/28/2002 -0500, Gary J. Ferdinand wrote:
>Certainly there are fixed costs involved with having multiple magz that
>would be eliminated entirely.  Then we are faced with the difference in per
>page costs between QST and the others.
>
>Have the Board considered making QST production cheaper per page, rather
>than going for elimination of content (which has the concommittant effect of
>lower advert prices and thus revenue - it's a spiral), holding per page
>costs constant or increasing?
>
>Just to use an extreme example to make the point, what if QST were published
>using the same style, paper, and overall publication quality as NCJ?  What
>would the cost per page be then?

Hi Gary -

The paper the NCJ is printed on is actually better paper -- and more expensive -- than QST paper. It's just not coated.

As for other costs of printing, I know K1RO and other in Newington are always looking for ways to keep costs down.   The biggest issue this year is an increase in postage costs.   Our estimate is 8% but the PO hasn't released increase details for magazines yet as far as I know.

                        -- Tom

=====
e-mail: k1ki at arrl.org   ARRL New England Division Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com