[CQ-Contest] Clarification CW, SSB and the FCC

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Sun Jul 21 12:58:50 EDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Tom Osborne wrote:

> "David L. Thompson" wrote:
>
> > I also found out that several don't believe that digital (from >RTTY to PSK 31 et al) is really amateur radio.
>
> Hi Dave et al
>
> Maybe not so much now, but when I first got into rtty it was
> definitely amateur radio.  Everyone built their own equipment,
> scrounged old machines to get going, etc.  I got started with an
> old Model 14 strip printer and a 555 op-amp TU that I built.
> Then moved up to a ST-5 (homebrew) then a DT-600 (also homebrew).
> Almost everyone was using stuff they modified or built
> themselves.  The first SAC contest I worked I used a Model 15 and
> Model 14 reperf.  Made 125 Q's with 25 countries and made WAC in
> that contest.  Most of the guys operating RTTY now are guys that
> have been around for a while.  PSK--now that's a different story
> :-(  73
> Tom W7WHY

I have been active on RTTY, PSK31, MFSK16, Hellschreiber, etc. and I
really don't see any difference in what is actually done with any of these
modes.  Some are wider in spectrum, some are narrower, some get through
better than others - but it's basically typing the information back and
forth and watching it appear on a screen instead of listening to it.  You
still have to see the screen in real time and reply in real time.

I don't see any difference in how to conduct a QSO on RTTY or PSK31.  The
only difference is the equipment used.  Most RTTY stations these days use
computers.  It's still fun.

I consider "radio" to be anything that is propagated between two antennas,
regardless of the mode it uses.  If it goes from a transmitter to an
antenna, propagates by free space, ionosphere, tropo ducting, FAI, EME or
whatever and is received at another antenna, it's radio.

73, Zack W9SZ