[CQ-Contest] Follow The Money

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jul 22 23:56:03 EDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Jeffrey Clarke wrote:

>  How about weak signal VHF/UHF ???? Well it's seems most of the time
> there isn't much activity in most parts of the country unless there
> is a contest going on ???

That's pretty much the case around here.  There are a few people who get
on and ragchew on 144 MHz SSB but the higher bands are pretty empty except
for contests.

>  How about digital modes ??? Well most of the guys I know that do this
> are either contesting or DXing. Sure there are guys probably handling
> traffic but the whole thing is so automated now it's like me just
> sending an email on my computer.... What's so fun about that ???

We just got a group going in this area to experiment with PSK31, MFSK16
etc on 144 MHz.  We're using 144.150 right now.  The digital modes CAN be
fun and real-time communication bewteen two people is communication
regardless of whether it's done on CW, SSB or digital modes. The digital
modes seem to be a matter of taste, though; some people don't like them.
I do.  That's one thing that always intrigued me about this hobby; there
are so many different things to do.