[CQ-Contest] more fun with spot statistics

David Robbins k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Mar 15 01:25:31 EST 2002

While we were talking about spotters who only made one spot in the whole
contest there was a mention of stations who spotted the same station
many times.  Well for the ARRL DX SSB test I went through the database
and came up with these numbers:

Spotter   Dx       times spotted
HA5IW     HA5KDQ   42
W3LPL     VP5A     19
W3LPL     9A1A     19
KF2ZG     ON7DR    18
N9US      ZF2MM    17
W3LPL     9A7A     15
K6PFF     UA9UHD   13
EA2TJ     EA2URE   13
RK3QWA    5B4/R3CC 13
G0MOK     NY6DX    12
HB9CQL    HB9DSO   12
PA9JP     PI4ZOD   12
UA9KGH    RK9KWB   12
AE9B      RX3RC    11
W3LPL     RU1A     11
W3LPL     OH5LF    11
WC4I      VP5B     11
K4JA-4    9A7A     10
RM6A      KC1XX    10
W3LPL     ZF2MM    10
W3LPL     LY7Z     10
W3LPL     EA8ZS    10
W3LPL     OM7M     10
W3LPL     DL6RAI   10
W3LPL     OH4A     10

What do these tell us??
First, W3LPL makes a lot of spots!

Second, stations that cq a lot get spotted a lot.

Third, stations that spot one other station a lot more than anyone else
stick out like a sore thumb.

To make the first line more interesting, consider the following:
HA5IW also spotted 2 other stations, once each
HA5KDQ was spotted by 5 other station, once each

For all of you who are now ready to lynch ha5iw, and are wondering who
in the world ha5kdq is... note that all those spots were on vhf or uhf
bands, apparently in some European vhf/uhf contest.  (same for the
groups of spots for ea2ure, hb9dso, and pi4zod)

Which brings up the fourth point... you can prove anything with
statistics taken out of context.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net