[CQ-Contest] TS-850SAT and Optional Filters - Opinions Wanted

Coker, Timothy J TJCoker at lasd.org
Thu Mar 21 04:50:28 EST 2002

	Hello, I use a Kenwood TS-850SAT at home for DXing and Contesting. I
am currently building up my CW speed/proficiency after 8 years off of the
radio. My main activities now are SSB and using CW comes 2nd at this point
in time, but may soon change to even usage. I am looking for opinions about
the optional filters that can go into the radio's 3 optional IF filter
slots. There are 2 8830 slots and one 455 slot. Based on your experiences
with contesting and dxing what would you opt for?

	I am currently thinking of purchasing all Inrad filters. The models
93 (455khz - 1800hz SSB), 95 (8830khz - 1800hz SSB), and 103 (8830khz -
400hz CW). The radio has stock 2700hz filters in both IF's that I currently
use for SSB.

	Lastly... I currently have one Kenwood YK-88C-1 (8830khz - 500hz CW)
filter currently installed in the radio. Would you agree that I should sell
this filter and replace it with one from Inrad? I have read many people
consider the Inrad filters to be better than the Kenwood filters but have no
basis to judge this on personally.

	Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim N6WIN.

	n6win at arrl.net