[CQ-Contest] QRP

Silver Ward hwardsil1 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 28 18:17:36 EST 2002

As the editor that added the Tip of the Week regarding QRP and zero beat,
let me add my two cents worth...

I do find more QRP stations have a different offset than the usual 800 Hz
so-called "standard".  If you are running a YaeKenCom box turned down to QRP
(as I do), they are all pretty much identical as far as offset goes, and so
is TenTec, but there sure seems to be a lot of variation between the smaller
manufacturers.  I don't know about Elecraft yet.  QRPers are also much more
likely to be operating homebrew rigs or separate receivers and transmitters,
making the issue important.

I didn't put the tip in there as a knock on QRPers, but to point out that
being on-frequency is MUCH more critical in big contests than in casual
operating.

On a similar note, I find that on 20-15-10, Europeans tend to call a couple
hundred Hertz higher than NA and JA stations.  Anybody else notice this?
Any opinions?

73, Ward N0AX
ARRL Contester's Rate Sheet Editor