[CQ-Contest] More Good (customer relations) News, Bad News

Dave Earnest k7jj at arrl.net
Thu Mar 28 12:09:12 EST 2002

FYI and for what it's worth department:

I am a little pistol using the Ameritron AL-811H amplifier. The power switch recently failed. This a little el-cheapo lighted rocker switch made by Carling and probably other manufacturers. I called Ameritron and talked to a tech support type. He stated he would mail me a new switch, but I would have to pay the $7.00 minimum plus UPS charges. He said the switch was less than 2 bux. What the heck I wanted to get back on the air. A week later UPS delivers a plain jane rocker switch, no light. This cost me just under $10.00 with the UPS fee. Called the tech support person back and he said no mistake, that is what they use now, probably because they could not get the lighted one anymore. I said something like, "unbelievable" and hung up.

The only indication you have that the amp is turned on are the meter lights, which failed awhile back, and the power switch.  I replaced the meter lamps with a higher quality lamp from the local surplus store.

The good news: A friend relayed to me that Astron, who uses the same identical switch, replaced his broken power supply switch free of charge, no questions asked. I called Astron. The only question the Astron parts lady asked was for my address. When I asked the charge, she said "none." Here is a company who likes to keep customers happy.

73,

Dave, K7JJ

David E. Earnest
http://www.qsl.net/k7jj