[CQ-Contest] Is'nt SS CW great?

Gerry Hull windev at inetmarket.com
Tue Nov 5 09:05:17 EST 2002

Hey All,

Well, I'm sorry to hear that a newbie was treated rudely
by a contest op.  Sorry to say, but there are rude people
in any section of society.

I had a lot of fun this weekend, operating my favorite mode,
working a bunch of people who really know how to use a mode
that makes ham radio a unique hobby.  Yep, I went fast... CQing
at 35wpm, sometimes up to 38...  I had only ONE station ask for
a QRS, which he got immediately.  Even a guy sending a check of
44 (Not a club), sending on a straight key, or another with a
check of 01, got my exchange 100% without a QRS.

It's a great pleasure working such skilled CW ops -- with very little
need for fills -- kinda like working 1RN back in the 70s and running a
ton of traffic without a single fill.  CW Contesters are a special breed!

I bet lots of newbies practice their CW skills by LISTENING to the high
speed guy, getting his basic info (maybe taking listening to 5 or 6 Qs),
then dumping in their call. (That's the way I did it many moons ago.)

Nope, I didn't get a sweep, and it's certainly not my best score --
only on for 11 hours -- but I had fun in one of THE best contests
around.  I can't wait till next year!

About 67K, 77 sections -- missed ME, WY, NL  -- Anybody else have
trouble with Maine?

73,

Gerry Hull, W1VE/VE1RM
Hull Computer Consulting
Custom Solutions for Broadcast Automation
POB C, Greenfield, NH 03047
Home Office/fax:    603-547-8327
Toll Free:          866-823-5473
email:              windev at inetmarket.com