[CQ-Contest] CW Speed, etc

John Warren nt5c at texas.net
Tue Nov 5 11:17:47 EST 2002

Ty K3MM wrote:

>I dont agree that we are losing newbies directly because of CW speed.
>There is just less interest and incentive in learning the code to start
>with....it has no more commercial/military viability.  You have to want to
>do it for JUST for fun and games now, which isnt enough incentive for most
>to become literate, let alone highly proficient.

Hmmmm. I thought we always played at contesting JUST for fun and
games? Sure we want to improve our skills and our station - just so
that it's even more fun.

As a 100% SSB op, let me humbly offer a suggestion. If you want to
keep CW alive and thriving, you need to grab on to and WELCOME every
5wpm newbie who shows up. A certain modest % of those will "get the
bug" and will progress to become the next generation of serious CW
contesters. That's what has happened here in central Texas. If you
are unwilling to slow down in SS, at least make a firm commitment and
serious effort through your clubs to search out, WELCOME and elmer
some new 5wpm entrants. If you don't, all those new HF ops will end
up just like NT5C.

73, John.