[CQ-Contest] Re: CW Speed and error handling, etc.

tgstewart at pepco.com tgstewart at pepco.com
Tue Nov 5 10:27:47 EST 2002

I dont agree that we are losing newbies directly because of CW speed.
There is just less interest and incentive in learning the code to start
with....it has no more commercial/military viability.  You have to want to
do it for JUST for fun and games now, which isnt enough incentive for most
to become literate, let alone highly proficient.

It seems the average WPM speed is slowly dropping, with guys sending at
over 35 wpm the exception rather than the rule as it used to be...

I think it would real interesting to see what happened if QSO's got
deleted from the log if EITHER station messed up the exchange.  Right now
there is no incentive for the fast guy to slow down and/or correct
mistakes  once he has HIS exchange copied...   Most will take the time,
but I'm sure some dont.

I also felt that activity from the NE was down quite a bit, but perhaps
that was just band conditions.  I'm not used to hearing stations up and
down the East coast on all bands almost all the time!

Ty K3MM

"k7qq" <k7qq at netzero.net>
Sent by: cq-contest-admin at contesting.com
11/05/2002 08:53 AM