[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Tue Nov 5 22:25:59 EST 2002

> > > A certain level of proficiency is required even to get your feet wet,
> > >  apparently he has not yet reached that. Perhaps it would be
> better to
> > assist
> > >  him in improving his CW skills first.
> >
> >     Methinks I detect some cw "elitism" here which is precisely
> why I gave up
> > on the CW Sprint - too many cw elitists who weren't interested
> in slowing
> > down or giving me the information I asked for.
> >
> >     CW SS should NOT be for hotshot cw ops only. I thought we
> were trying to
> > encourage more activity.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steve     K7LXC
>
> Not necessarily.  There would be a minimum speed I'd expect someone to be
> able to do if he were to hang in there in a CW contest.  Perhaps 15 wpm?
> I don't think a 5 wpm code proficiency is going to cut it in a major
> contest like SS.

I agree about the need for speed.

However, there is a place for even the most 'novice' contest entrant.  But,
the novice has to be made aware that he/she is getting into a real
horserace.

When I started sailboat racing, there was no 'beginner's' fleet.  I was
thrust into the full-up start with the rest of those who had varying degrees
of greater expertise than I.  And, yes, it was frightening.  But, I
eventually overcame it and won some cups, platters, candy dishes, etc.
(which my ex-mother-in-law subsequently sold at a garage sale when her
daughter and I divorced.).

Geez, guys, people have to start somewhere.

One guy throws in the towel (or puts his key back in the box) and suddenly
we are all at fault.

Get

Grip

There are certain realities that must be accepted: SS is not for the meek.

If someone wants to contest or you want someone to contest, let him/her get
their feet wet in NAQP or a state QSO Party or two.

73,
dale, kg5u