[CQ-Contest] New Club Call, W7TTT

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Nov 7 01:31:58 EST 2002

At 08:10 PM 11/6/02 -0500, K5RC wrote:
>I don't understand the phenomena completely, but we finally gave up on NV7A.
>Statistically, when S&P'ing on CW, about one in four stations either missed
>the call the first time, copied it as N4ZA or asked for a repeat on the
>State.
>
>So, here goes another grand experiment. As of today, NACHO (Nevada Ass'n of
>Contest Highland Operators) is now W7TTT. We'll see how often it becomes W7O
>in CQ CW. In SS Phone, it will be W7 Tic Tac Toe.

Smart move, Tom.  NV6O went the same route, for the same reason.  I
remember one time calling him in a PHONE NAQP as "N4BO."  There was this
long silence, and when he came back, he was still laughing, fortunately.

My impression -- ain't hindsight wonderful -- is that the B/6 and V/4 busts
are particularly common because people have trouble distinguishing 3 dots
vs 4 at or above their speed limit.  I have occasional problems with being
heard as NV7R, but even as long as the2X1 calls have been around, I still
think that 1X2 or 1X3 is more "expected" and therefore people are less
inclined to bust my call into a 2X1.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower