[CQ-Contest] Busted calls and Uniques

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Mon Nov 11 09:00:27 EST 2002

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:

> Perhaps someone can explain what the log checkers would do with this one.
> Let's say WC4E is on in a contest (NAQP or SS for example), but I don't work
> him.  However, I do work WC4I who is trolling across the band and works me
> because he knows me, but works no one else.  He doesn't send in a log, and
> either does WC4E.  How do the log checkers handle that unique in the log I
> sent in.....valid QSO, possible busted, or what?

Simple.  Since your example contest, NAQP or SS, has the state/section
as part of the exchange, the log checker will check what you logged,
WC4E=FL or WCF and WC4I=KY.  If both of these are logged correctly,
you'll get credit for both QSO's.

It "may" not be as simple for other contests without states/section or
other identifying exchange information.  In this case, it's back to if
it can't be proven to be bad, then it should be counted as a good QSO.

This is also a good argument to SEND IN A LOG ... no matter how big or
small.  The more logs there are to work with, the more accurate the log
checking process can be.

Ron, WD4AHZ