[CQ-Contest] Busted calls and Uniques

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Wed Nov 13 06:15:53 EST 2002

"VR2BrettGraham" <vr2bg at harts.org.hk commented: "Since RTTY isn't a "real"
mode, this should not worry most here."
AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu jjreisert at alum.mit.edu commented: "Uniques
_are_ removed from CQ WW RTTY logs. I really don't understand why the RTTY
log checkers think that they're in their own little world when it comes to
log checking.  Witness the fiasco about marking QSOs with UA9S stations as
invalid when the UA9S sent Zone 17 instead of Zone 16 which is what the log
checking software expected.  *EVEN THOUGH
EVERYONE COPIED THE SAME ZONE FROM HIM!* I don't understand why they can't
look outside of their opaque bubble and learn
how these problems are dealt with in the real world."

First, I'm not sure how/why any RTTY log checking should be of any interest
to some of those subscribed to "this here" reflector, as you have so stated
so well, "RTTY isn't a real mode"! I admire any/all log checkers, and have
very little interest as to how the logs are checked, as long as the same
process is applied to all logs! I believe that is being done! I'm sure there
is "room for improvement", just as I'm sure that "improvement" will come?
Much of the "gnashing of teeth" comes from some that have indicated, more
than once, "contesting should be fun"? Just remember: "those that make you
angry, have control over you"!
My contesting theory: 1) Operate as much as I care to, 2) Have fun, 3) Send
in my log, unedited, 4) Trust the log checkers, 5) Get ready for the next
one!
C'Ya, Shelby