[CQ-Contest] SS suggestions for newbies and casual ops

k3ft at erols.com k3ft at erols.com
Sun Oct 13 10:12:13 EDT 2002

Greetings!

One thing that works for me (when I tire of the 'down and the bottom battle' AND has
worked for new folks as well as casual types of 'want to see what's going on' is to
look for space UP ABOVE the din.

I have found, personally, that on Sunday when folks are SEEKING contacts, they will
search outside the normally prowled areas of the band where the hotbed of activity is.
Have those folks go up above the prime area just a bit and try a few CQ's. They might
have to be a bit diligent to find a spot.. but they are avaialble up the band. 20M MAYbe
the exception to this at times as it's limited by spectrum and other activities that are
on there..but if you are a big gun/middle gun looking for Q's/mults.. you will lookup
above the normal spots to snag those Q's.

Plus being just above the fray will let them play without diving into the deep end of
the pool.

73
Chuck K3FT