[CQ-Contest] Feeding Antenna Arrays (Victor Dively)

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Wed Sep 11 22:18:14 EDT 2002

The tricks are:

1) Make the two antennas quite identical.
2) Choose the heights at which they are
mounted carefully so that the match is
identical on each.  Also, choose the heights
so that the lower is very close to half the
height of the upper.  For example, when
two ten meter yagis are stacked, 35 and 70
feet would meet both these criteria.  W6EEN
uses 3 10 meter yagis at 105, 70, and 35
feet, and can select almost any combination
of the 3.  A good simulation program like
NEC-2 is helpful in determining the best heights.
3) Use equal lengths of identical coaxial
cable between the antennas and the match
box.  Connect the two in parallel and match
for 26 ohms (2:1), or feed one at a time with
no match.