[CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Aug 1 23:21:46 EDT 2003

There are several things you have to watch out for in testing stubs in
the real world...

1. leakage from before the stubs.  Put a dummy load in place of the stub
box and measure how much harmonic you can hear that way.  Fix cables,
grounds, and leaks in cases first.
2. harmonics generated after the stubs.  Hard to track down, but if
something on the tower or near it is rectifying then no stub in the
world will help.  Tx into a dummy load and use a short pickoff antenna
on a T on the dummy load to tx. (this makes #1 above even more important
to fix first)
3. harmonics generated in the receiver.  Similar to above, if the rx you
are using is overloaded by the fundamental and makes its own harmonics
the stubs won't help there either... make sure you have a good bandpass
filter before the rx to reduce the wrong band fundamental on rx...
reverse the setup above and rx from a dummy load with a short pickoff
antenna T'ed to it, or use attenuator to limit input to rx.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

and my