[CQ-Contest] If You Don't QSL, LISTEN UP!

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 5 21:53:46 EDT 2003

At 12:31 PM 8/5/2003, Jeff KU8E wrote:

>I think it's pretty childish to purposely ignore someone in a contest
>just because they didn't return your QSL.

Hi Jeff,

IMO....

While it may be childish, you can't control the other station's behavior,
only your own.

For at least a couple of years, 9Y4VU would not work KC1XX in a DX
contest.  We knew he was hearing us (when someone is S9 and no one else is
calling...).  We have no idea what WE did, but I'm sure it had nothing to
do with QSLing. Notice I said WE, we did not blame the operator, only
ourselves. The situation magically righted itself. To this day, we can only
speculate.

The guy who sends a QSL card and gets stiffed did NOTHING wrong. The only
power he has is to deny that person a QSO in the future. You will not be
able to MAKE him work you, but by returning QSLs, you eliminate one of the
barriers.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC