[CQ-Contest] New program to analyze passes in a Cabrillo log

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 3 08:10:51 EST 2003

I wrote a short program which attempts to locate passed QSOs in a Cabrillo
log.  You can download it from:

         http://www.k1ea.com/utilities/pass.zip

The program will only run in a DOS window on Win 95/98/NT/2K/XP, it will
not work in ordinary DOS. I'll see what I can do this weekend about fixing it.

The syntax is:

         pass <CONTEST.LOG> [minutes]

The log must be in Cabrillo format, or the program will exit.  The output
will be written to a file of the same name as the input, except with a
".PASS" extension.  You can open this file in notepad to view it.

Minutes is the pass "window", default is 5 minutes if not specified.  If
the same station isn't logged within that time window on two different
bands or modes, it's not considered a pass.  Each pass starts a new window,
so it's possible to see passes to three or more bands grouped together, if
the time between each QSO is less than the window size.

Here is a sample of the output from one of KC1XX's old logs:

>Reading QSO data from kc1xx.log
>         7716 QSOs.
>         3659 unique callsigns.
>         Pass limit = 5 minutes.
>
>DL5WW        2003-02-15 1557 14020 CW
>->           2003-02-15 1558 21001 CW
>
>DL7ALM       2003-02-16 1210 28016 CW
>->           2003-02-16 1212 21004 CW
>->           2003-02-16 1213 14001 CW
>
>DL7ANR       2003-02-15 2151 14020 CW
>->           2003-02-15 2154  7004 CW

I hope people find this useful.  I have tested it with only CQWW and ARRL
DX, but other contests *should* work.  I'd be happy to hear your comments.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC