[CQ-Contest] Improper packet spotting?

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:40:02 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:57:18PM -0000, Barry  wrote:
> During the contest, I noted a W1 station doing a lot of spotting of
> stateside stations, many of whom were his fellow YCCC members.  As a
> result of this, one of my fellow FRCers started spotting some of us
> (myself included).
> Is this an accepted practice?

I think it is cheating.  The only way this is any different than self-spotting
is that the beneficiary of the contacts generated by this solicitation on
the network is a club score and not specifically the station that generated
the spot.  It is still a form of self-spotting in the context of the contest,
and I think it is disreputable behavior.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops