[CQ-Contest] Beginner contester question- Duping-Busted etc.

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Dec 5 08:14:10 EST 2003

At 03:47 PM 12/4/03 -0600, you wrote:
>But during log checking they will come to see that I busted EEA/EEE  --
>negative points happen ok that's gud.
>Then does the REAL EEE become an-unDupe and I get credit?
>How does this all work?

If you have a QSO in your log that is not in the other station's log, you
are penalized -- how much depends on the contest.  Dupe QSOs per se are not
penalized if your log is electronically submitted -- in fact Cabrillo
format does not mark dupes.  So the "second" QSO would be OK (assuming its
in the other station's log).

I feel ethically comfortable with the idea that if I "rework" someone
(either because he's not in my log or vice versa), AND vmake a note in the
log AT THAT TIME (during the contest), I can go back afterward to remove
the first QSO (if it's in my log but not his).  I do not think it is OK to
review the log after the contest, looking for situations where this might
be true.  Also not smart -- unless you specifically recall, you have as
much chance of removing the good QSO as the bad one.

To me, the critical point is whether you found the error and made a note to
correct the mistake, while the contest was still on -- then it is directly
analogous to writing a note in the margin of your paper log -- it is part
of the log and it's no more than legitimate housekeeping to clean up afterward.

One person's opinion...

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated December 2.
2541 stations are listed -- 72 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm