[CQ-Contest] ARRL 160 & DX Particpation

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Sun Dec 7 15:12:38 EST 2003

I can think of at least one reason for dropping this idea.  Try
looking
at the effect of this potential change from the point of view of who
would gain and who would lose competitive advantage.  Clearly
there would be a regional influence on the thought process with one
region of the US being pleased and the remaining regions being
displeased.  The midwest would clearly be majorly displeased, as
would the West, and, I believe, the South -- although for the South
the disadvantage would not be as severe as for some otheres.

The spector of large numbers of contests following suit in one
manner or another and all turining into trans-atlantic big-gun
shoots is a real unpallatable prospect for much of the country,
especially when the present extreme advantage of the
Northeastern US in a number of major contests is taken
into consideration.  The result could be severely impaired
participation from many parts of the US.