[CQ-Contest] Re: [VHFcontesting] Six Meter Contest

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Tue Dec 16 10:20:19 EST 2003

I suppose it all depends on what you're looking to do.

If you're looking to have fun and work stateside stations, and some DX if the considitons will allow, then 6 meters in the June contest is for you.  If enjoying some of the propagation that 6 meters offers, the best time to do that is during the June VHF contest.

The SMIRK and the 6-Club single band contests have no participation.  I've tried to work both, and have heard no one on.  It's pathetic.

I don't think it would be to anyone's interest to start up another single band VHF contest.

To be honest, unless you're blessed with being within line-of-site to one of the major population centers of the U.S. with lots of 2m FM types, it mostly is a 6m contest.  Sure, there are some opportunities to work someone occasionally on 2m, and you can coordinate to work some of them on 432 or higher if you pass them from band to band.  But, for most of the country, the only place you can run stations, if the band opens, is on 6m.

Even here in the Dallas area, we don't have the VHF crowd to draw from like NYC or Chicago or LA has.

I'd rather see the participation level of the existing VHF activities grow, rather than try to thin it out.

73,
N5NJ
EM13