[CQ-Contest] Cheating

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Sun Feb 2 00:23:35 EST 2003

Tyler,

Thanks for the reply.

We (OK, me on behalf of the contest committee) asked several of the stations
involved if they could explain what was going on here.  We also asked some
of the club officers since the club station was involved.

One guy immediately started screaming to the mountaintops that we were "sore
losers" for daring to question anything; suffice to say, based on the email
exchange with him, that we're wasting our breath trying to reason with him
until he cools off and actually READS the email, as he's now accusing me of
not ever asking him for the very things we asked him for in the original
email.  Everyone else who's responded has been a little more reasonable, and
one of the officers gave the explanation of what was going on.

There's nothing in the contest rules prevent someone from doing just what
they say they've done -- ran mobile and worked only the club station to give
them more zips/mults than anyone else.  Of course, it's going to make the
score stick out like a sore thumb, so anyone reading the results is going to
wonder what's going on.  And the irony is, even if we took out the excessive
mults, they'd have won their category anyway.

It does make you wonder, though.  I've come to the conclusion, after over 30
years licensed (and most of them as a contester -- blame that on WA3FET &
the other contesters he was in cahoots with at K3CR when I went off to
college) that there are two schools of contesting:

(a)  Follow the letter & spirit of the rules, be a gentleman/lady, show
courtesy while competitive, in short, be a good sport and show
sportsmanship;
(b)  Stretch the rules, almost anything goes, if it's not forbidden it's
legal, all's fair in love & war & this is a war, search for and exploit
every technically possible loophole, in short, winning is the end and the
end justifies the means.

I try to stick to the first category.  If it costs me a win, then so be it,
I still have to live with myself.

73, ron wn3vaw

'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
  explained by stupidity.' --Hanlon's Razor