[CQ-Contest] Categorically Speaking...

tombaugh tombaugh at discoverynet.com
Tue Feb 4 08:40:52 EST 2003

Here's my take on this for what it is worth.
If the intention is to encourage additional participation, I'm all for it.
If by doing this we are just reorganizing things so that more participants
can recieve a certificate then I'm not for it.
Competition is just that. A chance to compete against others in an event.
For some reason a reward or award is the goal instead of the thrill of the
competition. How rewarding is it to win a category that has no other
competitors? I understand the frustration of having to compete against
bigger, better stations. Of "never having a chance to win" because of X or
Y. Winning is in the heart. If a certificate is neccesary to feel
accomplishment then our focus is wrong. Would a plaque for a "one hour just
got home from work and had to get everything ready before I started"
category be in order? That guy did more than many to get on the air.. but
nobody is going to reward him for his efforts. maybe the ARRL or CQ or other
entity could start a category equivalent to "This guy gets on the air every
contest and scores in the top 50%" category". Seems to me.. that guy already
knows he's getting on for the competition and contest commraderie. That's
what makes my clock tick! Sometimes you do well and sometimes you don't but
the judge is looking you in the mirror every day. I'm all for more folks
getting on the air! But if we're just spreading the awards around to
different folks by making new or different categories.. the hobby will not
have GAINED anything.. just the individual(s).

Tom Baugh
AE9B