[CQ-Contest] The 24-hour ARRL DX

Mike Gilmer, N2MG n2mg at eham.net
Thu Feb 6 17:03:23 EST 2003

If we create a 24hr category in a 48hr contest, surely some, who would
have operated, say, 30 hours, would cut back to 24.  Others, who may
not have operated much at all (say, 0-10 hours), just might push for
the 24 hours.

IMO, in the balance, it would serve to increase activity in the
contest.  Anytime you can create more *serious* competitors, Contesting
benefits.  Yeah, yeah, I realize that's tantamount to saying, "More
categories is more better", but everyone has their own motivations.  To
some it's simply the wrestling in the QRM with fellow contesters that
gets them going; to the perennial winners, it's a shot at a record; to
others a potential "win" is a motivator - give them a category they
feel competitive in (it is a CONTEST, is it not?) and they'll operate
with more enthusiasm.  That can't be all bad, can it?

I'm not happy about suggesting the ARRL or CQ be saddled with more
work, but if a third party group can figure out how to orchestrate a
CWC (contest within a contest), who would want to stop them?

Pete (N5ZR): Are you proposing to process the individuals' logs
separately to extract the time on/off? I don't believe this data is
calculated by ARRL anymore.  Also, must it be a contiguous 24 hours
or "any" 24 hours? If "any" what would be the minimum off-time allowed?
(I suggest something like 2 hours minimum off-time and that listening
time NOT count as operating time - I always thought that rule was
silly.)

Bob (KQ2M): the eHam survey is not set up to work with multiple
questions but I suppose that we could write a short article and
solicit comments.  However, I suspect the only *real* proof would be to
actually implement a 24hr contest and see the statistics.

Mike N2MG