[CQ-Contest] sharp filters

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Mon Feb 24 00:10:09 EST 2003

> The question I have..  Does the group have a consensus as to
> feelings about
> not answering people who are 'a fair ways' outside zero beat so that they
> will be forced to better zerobeat you OR do you just answer 'em to get 'em
> worked and not worry about it?  It's not a real big deal to me, but I'm
> looking for other active contester's/operator's thoughts.

Good question.  I answer them all.  Operating in contess QRP, I do get to
call CQ from time to time.  When I do, I sometimes open the filters up to
1.8kHz (500Hz being the next step tighter).

I'm amazed at how many people are off frequency when they call me.

I don't know if it's a case of RIT-heimers (forgetting RIT is on and
offset),they simply tuned to where they could copy me with the least amount
of adjacent frequency interference, or if they simply prefer high/low tones.

On the other hand, when I'm S&P'ing and have to sit through a QSO or two
before the station recognizes me, I may move the VFO a bit to offset me from
any other calling stations.  This works well in pileups, too.

73,
dale, kg5u