[CQ-Contest] Statement regarding the use of BEACONet in ARRL VHF Contests

Henderson, Dan N1ND dhenderson at arrl.org
Fri Jan 17 09:39:05 EST 2003

First, please feel free to forward this statement to other reflectors as appropriate.

There is a growing controversy in regards to the use of BEACONet in the upcoming ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes and other ARRL VHF contests.

Let me be very plain and straightforward:  The ARRL has determined that the use of BEACONet  is considered self-spotting of your station.  Self-spotting is specifically not allowed under the provisions of the General Rules for All ARRL Contests:

	3.14. In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your own station or
		requesting another station to spot you is not permitted.

This determination has been clearly presented to those involved with the BEACONet program.  However there have been postings to many reflectors stating that they believe the issue has been wrongly decided.  That will continue to be discussed as time progresses.

However, so there is no misunderstanding: the use of BEACONet to solicit contacts during the contest period may make your entry subject to action by the ARRL Awards Committee.

Since I may not be subscribed to the reflector where you ultimately read this please forward questions, etc directly to me.  I will collect them and add them to the information for the Awards Committee.

Thanks and 73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Contest Branch Manager

multipart/alternative