[CQ-Contest] CW NAQP Observations

Scott Nichols snichols at mvosprey.com
Fri Jan 17 12:02:00 EST 2003

I think in a domestic contest such as NAQP, it's more about antennas and
operator prowess than it is with power. Some of the signals I heard from
the "big guns" with low power last weekend were not all that "weaker"
than when I hear them in HP contests...With some of these 20 acre, 15
tower, 6 antenna/tower, beverage, 4-square antenna farms I see pictures
of these days, they would likely be loud with 2 watts...More power to
them (so to speak)...They have the gear, they deserve their
victories...I wish I had the cash and real estate to try it...Until
then, I'll have fun with my one beam and three wires wrapped around
every tree in my back yard...

I'm a personal fan of CQ's "Tri-Bander/Wires" category...That, IMHO,
really evens out the playing field...

If I had the choice between laying out thousands of dollars for an amp,
or laying out the same cash for some great low band antennas? You bet
there would be a 4 square or something like it on my property with only
100 watts going to it....Now, if I could only convince the lady across
my road to sell me her 30 acres of hay field...

73, and will see you (only for a couple hours unfortunately) this
weekend during the NAQP SSB...

Scott VE1OP