[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Mon Jul 7 08:44:19 EDT 2003

Mark, I think you're missing the point.

What this discussion is about is the contest community seeking open
and democratic discussions and decision-making on the subject of log
checking.  Certainly, some may misunderstand the process, as you point
out.  That's a natural result of the central problem present in
computerized log checking these days.

Computerized log checking (or the lack of it) is an issue across all
contests at present; it affects the entire contesting community.  Log
checking should be handled as nearly as possible in an equal fashion
regardless of which contest is in question.  Issues surrounding this
subject should be above the influence of sponsorship, and in the hands
of the contesting community.  Decisions on this subject should not be
made by the programmers of the log checking programs.  The programmers
should be working to specifications that originate with open and
democratic discussions and decision-making and the full concurrence of
the contesting community.

As evidenced by the nature of the discussion, our present log checking
system is based on exactly the opposite set of principles.