[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

Mike Gilmer, N2MG n2mg at eham.net
Tue Jul 8 08:44:14 EDT 2003

1) My post (with the "legitimate" questions below) was part of a response
intended
to be directed (in opposition) to the assertion that one must "log
what one hears no matter what" which is what the thread had sort of morphed
into.  I consider that a rather narrow view of what the operator's role is
in contesting.

Just because the original "facts" were misunderstood and misstated does not
change this.

2) More to the original thread and Leigh's post...I disagree that the log
checking somehow desperately needs to brought out of a kind of dark, secret
backroom and laid out for all of us to operate on.  Had it been left to the
"contest community" to decide what to do at the outset, the very nature of
humans would have had us still discussing whether we even *wanted*
computerized log checking at all, much less the details of their
implementations.  IMO, good things are created by single individuals, or
very small groups, not often by committees.  Computerized log checking is a
"good thing".  I absolutely DO think the responsibility for log checking
lies with the contest sponsors - they'll take all the heat, it's their game.

Now, it would be *nice* to see the log checking details presented
comprehensively rather than leaked out piece meal in defense of "attacks".
However, that would take a lot of work - to write some kind of
specification - and once released, a lot more questions would be generated
making for even more work.  I don't envy anyone having to do this.  Also,
the checking capabilities will naturally stabilize, if they haven't already,
such that the various contests are adjudicated consistently enough for most
people.  But I don't think they should all be forced to be identical - let
the various checkers come up with their own techniques... and let them try
them in their own contests... one or a few contests at a time.  If
successful, the techniques will likely be folded into other contests.

Mike N2MG