[CQ-Contest] Rohn Going SK?

KL7RA kl7ra at ptialaska.net
Sat Jul 26 11:45:27 EDT 2003

Bob, K8IA writes:

.> There are several other stable manufacturers that make high quality guyed
> tower in all "flavors", but they havent felt the need to cater to the ham market
> by universally distributing or offering what hams would consider "reasonable"
> pricing.

In 1988 I went to a Pirod's tower factory near Plymouth, Indiana. This one
was making something that looked like 45G. I seem to remember it was
a pretty small place and the salesman was very busy and he told me they
didn't sell their product to hams.

To be fair I assume walking into a Rohn plant would get the same results as
I have been told Rohn requires large minimum orders but I have never see
or heard any ham using Pirod tower.

The salesman directed me to another plant not far away. It was a family
operation that was building what looked exactly like Rohn 25. He told me
simple tower physics dictated this design and he sold and installed them
to hold UHF TV antennas. They appeared to me to be of very low quality
and if you picked one up you could tell it wasn't Rohn 25G. The sections
were painted not dipped as well. I don't see too many of his towers
around that part of Indiana anymore, probably a victim of cable TV.

I'm sure this will all work out somehow but for fair priced guyed towers,
Rohn was it.

73 Rich KL7RA