[CQ-Contest] Contesters and emergencies

Larry N7DF n7df at zianet.com
Wed Mar 19 16:01:59 EST 2003

I recently found that my contesting experience helped me make and maintain effective communications in a medical emergency while I was in Honduras. See http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/03/11/1/?nc=1

My brother went to my home station, which is set up as a contest station,  so he could use the facilities there to keep in contact as the bands became marginal.

I'm not sure if KN4KL and K4VP are contesters but they both seemed to have the discipline and self control that makes good contesters.  I tried several times to break into ragchew nets on 40 meters before I ran across them.  They both recognized my breakin as an emergency and responded appropriately.

In a lot of instances where it is necessary to maintain communications in less than ideal conditions the facilities of contest stations and the skill of experienced contest operators can be a telling factor.

One thing I wonder about, though.  If this had occurred during a contest would it have been possible to get the necessary traffic through the QRM?  Would people have given us a clear channel or called "CQ contest" on it?