[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike conduct

Barry Merrill barry at mxg.com
Mon Mar 31 21:56:36 EST 2003

"but one of the premises of contesting is that it requires
cooperation of all stations involved."

Independent of the irrational actions of an individual ham,
politics have always been a hidden part of ham radio:
not all countries can be worked by all other countries.

When I operated BY1PK in 1984 I was required to agree
that I would not work certain countries (4X4, BV, and
two others that had pissed off the PRC that I can't
immediately recall).  Last year at Dayton, the DXpedition
to Syria reported they had had 24 hour monitoring to ensure
that they did not QSO with 4X4, and I believe Syria is not
alone in their restrictions in working 4X4s.

Barry, W5GN

Herbert W. Barry Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer
MXG Software