Fw: [CQ-Contest] 3 second ON/OFF - QRM on 20mtrs

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Fri May 2 04:59:34 EDT 2003

VK8AA added:

>Just a note.. there is a small chance this may be coming out of VK..
>Certainly our 12m band is seriously affected by HF 'JORN' radars (Located
>in southern VK8), and I have heard them cruise by on 15m and 10m and
>briefly on 30m once.  They are wide, ie around 30kHz+, raspy machine style
>of sound - and strong.  My VK8AA station in Darwin was taken out for about
>10 minutes on the 15m band during the '02 CQWW contest with this radar.
>
>If you hear it again, check down this way..

The 24 Mc band here is often hard to use due to some sort of sweeping
signal which peaks somewhere to the SE from here & I have even heard the
second harmonic of it on the amateur 6m band.

Is this the JORN radar?  When I contacted the VK telecom authority about it
as it had been suggested in some circles that it was in Oz, the telecom
folks said
it some sort of sea surface radar from my neck of the woods.

Didn't realize the F/B on my quad was so poor... bollocks!

Thankfully we don't contest on 12m... but 15m phone is bad out here due to
b'cast
crud extending down from 21.5-something Mc station in BY, I believe.

73, VR2BrettGraham