[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri May 9 00:38:30 EDT 2003

At 09:46 PM 5/8/03 -0400, Eric Scace K3NA wrote:
>    If one can get a "SO2R in a box", one eliminates the need for a second
> radio box on the desk.  Eliminating the second radio box
>on the desk in a contest also eliminates a 25A 13vdc power supply and the
>associated antenna switching hardware -- both of which are
>non-trivial work or expense.

If you have a true legal SO2R setup, there is no reason why two radios
can't run off a single power supply.  Most transceivers only require a
couple of amps during receive, so unless you scrimped on the supply and
sized it to exactly match one radios transmit current demand, this should
not pose a problem.

With regards to AA4LR's comment, I think the demand for this is smaller
that he thinks.  How many ham transceivers do you really think the
manufacturers sell?  I remember buying a IC-765 (a fairly popular radio)
two years after introduction and it was only s/n 3000.  A high-end SO2R
radio is truly a niche product.

Dave/K8CC