[CQ-Contest] Re: Self Spotting in WPXCW

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri May 30 12:02:55 EDT 2003

> Otherwise, suppose I don't like station W#XYZ, so I log onto telnet
node
> W#ABC as W#XYZ and spot "dx 14185 W#XYZ Please work me".  The spot
> comes out looking like a self-spot by W#XYZ. How is he going to prove
he
> didn't do it?  Can someone track me down and say I was the one that
> spotted him?  How can you disqualify him for self-spotting if you
can't
> prove or disprove either of these things?

Yes to both.  You missed the whole point of my posting the data that I
tracked down in real time during the contest.  Yes, it is possible to
track spots back to their source... and Yes, if you claimed you didn't
make a particular spot it is possible to prove that it wasn't you(though
maybe not in all cases if it was possibly your neighbor with the same
isp that did it or the abuser was on an rf link).

> I guess we need omnipotent, clairvoyant contest sponsors.

No, the ones we have are fine, they are just getting some new tools to
help track down this type of rule breaker.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net