[CQ-Contest] Propagation tests to the East Coast for SS.

J. Allen jallen at internorth.com
Fri Nov 14 18:08:56 EST 2003

All East Coast SS station ops,

SS propagation is again expected to be quite poor to the East Coast.

As a result, I would like to do some experiments at and just after sunset
today and see if we can get at least a few contacts through.  If this works
I may ask for only East Coast stations for that brief period.  The sunset
window may explain why during the SS03CW contest, I heard one station in
Michigan for a short time, who did not hear or work me, possibly because his
antenna was e-w at the time.  If the ops on the other end are aware and if
the experiment works, perhaps a very few of you east coast station ops will
have your antennas on KL7 and VY1 at the right time and will make it.

I am suggesting propagation tests on or near 14.177 and 7.227 today for this
purpose.  Lets find out what time to aim your antennas my way.

Please contact me by e-mail directly if you want to be a part of this test
to get a few East Coast stations in the SS log.

If any of you has a sunrise-sunset calculator, VY1JA is at 60.95 north by
135.15 west.  I need to know what the best times are to try the tests.

Lets hope this works... SS03CW was almost a write-off with only 108 stations
logged, and none of my East Coast and only a couple of central friends made
it.  The VY1JA SS log is in the Logbook of the World and on eQSL.cc if you
want to see it.

73,

J.