[CQ-Contest] Number, Check, etc

Hanlon, Steve SHanlon at dnr.state.md.us
Wed Nov 19 07:54:05 EST 2003

K3FT has a point regarding the measured pace of the QSO.  for several hours i listened to the QSO's while logging and it was very obvious that to make the contact, the voice had to be even and measured.  our ops had to repeat themselves many times due to numbers and letters trailing off as the op spoke.

i also noticed that the vast majority of those who called CQ worked the station that maintained a steady, measured voice as the answered.  you could here him under the fast talkers and he finished a few 1/10th of a second after they did so he stood out.

during the CQ WW DX, i recorded about an hour of a station making a great run.  i listened to it lastnight and found the same thing to be true.  the measyured tempo, even volume voice did not have to have repeats and usually was easily identified in the pileup.

i guess listening to several hours worth of contesting has really made an impression on me.  hopefully i'll heed the education and put it to practice in my "first" contest.

-steve hanlon
KB3KAQ