[CQ-Contest] Logbook of the World as substitute for bureau QSLing

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Wed Nov 19 15:14:42 EST 2003

> Pete Smith wrote:
>
> Having started this thread, I feel a need to chime in here
> and disagree, at least in part.  I have received a lot of
> mail cautioning that many casual contest participants are
> in it mainly for the QSL card, and not for awards either,
> but for the pleasure of the cards themselves.  I have no idea
> how representative this is, but don't want to be the one to
> pull the plug.  As a consequence, I have decided to do at
> least one more batch of pre-emptive DX QSLs via the bureau
> system, as before strictly limited to 1 per station per
> band/mode combination since 12/1/94.  I keep hoping that
> there'll be a dramatic dropoff in the number that meet that
> standard, but so far it has been gradual at best.  I will
> continue to respond to domestic QSLs, as before (which is
> to say, not quickly, but surely).

I will never replace all QSLing with LotW, that is, I will
continue to respond to bureau cards via the bureau and direct
cards (with SASE) direct.  However, I see no reason for any
"premptive" QSLing at this point ... the preemptive QSLs will
be LotW uploads.

If someone needs a paper card for their own reason, that's fine
but the ca. $2-$3 per card cost is no longer justified.  I hope
LotW will someday support a printable card for those who want
to either store an electronic image or print a hard copy.  Who
knows, I may even use eQSL.cc just to allow someone to have a
tangible card as opposed to an electronic record but LotW will
be my "standard."

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK