[CQ-Contest] Logbook of the World as substitute for bureau QSLing

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Nov 19 16:19:52 EST 2003

At 03:14 PM 11/19/03 -0500, K4IK wrote:
>I will never replace all QSLing with LotW, that is, I will
>continue to respond to bureau cards via the bureau and direct
>cards (with SASE) direct.  However, I see no reason for any
>"premptive" QSLing at this point ... the preemptive QSLs will
>be LotW uploads.

Joe, the reason I preemptively QSL is that it takes too much time to look
up and respond to each card individually -- I am sitting here right now
looking at a 10-lb box of QSLs, approximately 1500 QSLs.  At 30 seconds a
card, including time to decide whether I've already QSLed that guy on that
band/mode combination, that's roughly 750 minutes, or 12 1/2 hours, just to
do the lookups.  I get 3-4 such boxes a year!

>If someone needs a paper card for their own reason, that's fine
>but the ca. $2-$3 per card cost is no longer justified.  I hope
>LotW will someday support a printable card for those who want
>to either store an electronic image or print a hard copy.  Who
>knows, I may even use eQSL.cc just to allow someone to have a
>tangible card as opposed to an electronic record but LotW will
>be my "standard."

Now THIS is a wonderful idea.  With the storage capacity that is available
today, it should be relatively easy to allow LotW members, for a charge, to
be able to upload a master QSL card form.  Then, when somebody runs through
his matches on LotW, he could see which ones offer the option of a QSL
image, and choose to receive a pdf image with the data filled in, either
free or for a small fee.  If necessary, the image could be "watermarked" or
otherwise marked as not valid for DXCC, but would be fine for display.

I would jump at such an idea, and offer a much nicer QSL card than the one
that now goes to my bureau QSOs.  Everybody wins.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29.
2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm