[CQ-Contest] several contesting questions

kazeringue w4kaz at arrl.net
Sat Nov 22 08:51:44 EST 2003

""thanks for all the feedback on my questions.  when asking about what
makes a
contest radio, i was looking more for features that make contesting
easier,""

Steve, I'm new to this contesting game myself, and my radio, the FT-920,
is probably less selective than is the ic746pro. I don't have the CW
filter yet, and there's no OEM slot for a SSB filter (-egads!-).

Still, it is possible to copy most of the ops the radio can hear, in
either of those modes.  Its just more work than it would be with an
ft-1000D equipped with a wad of filters.

I find myself riding the RF and AF gain controls, sometimes flipping
through the attenuator settings, and often toggling the pre amp("IPO" in
yaesu-speak). The DSP on this radio seems to me more useful for CW than
for SSB.  It gets tweaked some too, but less often than I expected
before working a contest with it.

With all those caveats, I'd rather spend the difference in price on a
better antenna system than a new radio(I rather like my 920).  I'm using
wire antennas now.  Unfortunately, thats not likely to change soon, so
for me, its tin-whistle contesting in the foreseeable future.  That's
okay, cause I like S&P'ing a lot better than CQ'ing.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing a compilation of info/tips from

Kaz, W4KAZ