[CQ-Contest] SS Question

Steve Root steve.root at culligan4water.com
Mon Nov 24 17:46:52 EST 2003

Leigh,

I agree with you on most of what you said.  If anything, I'm usually guilty
of going to 40 and 80 too soon in an attempt to get away from the higher
bands.  The problem is with the operator on the other end.  The typical
"casual" contester might have a tribander on the roof of the garage, and low
wires on 40 and 80.  He might not even have room for something on 80.  On
the other hand, he has a resonably good signal on 10 and 15 meters and does
most of his operating there.  That disparity is usually enough to keep us
out of the top spots.  If you look at the band breakdowns from the best guys
in my neck of the woods (N0AT, N0KK, K0OB, etc.) you'll see that none of
them do much on 10 meters in SS.  In the last CW SS I made about 50 Q's
total on 10 meters.  Meanwhile the guys south and west of here were doing
well.  It's tough to recover those Q's later because those operators aren't
going to be around at 0500Z on 80 meters.

The aurora actually hurt us on the low bands more than the higher bands due
to the high absorbtion.  80 was pretty bad from here, noisy and the signals
were way down.  40 and 20 were the "money bands for us.

Thanks for the input, and I hope to see everybody next Feburary in the MNQP!

73 Steve K0SR