[CQ-Contest] Packet spot flap

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 3 13:51:54 EDT 2003

looked at both reports and you must understand that remote use of a
telephone number and computer can cause all sorts of problems.  Earthlink
and others ran into what was called the Alabama gang of spammers who used
Birmingham telephone exchanges but were actually is Europe or Asia.   I
looked at some of the "real" addresses for all the bogus microsoft messages
and they come from .Cz, .ru, and even China.

DX Summit is probably the most used web page for Dx spots with EHam second.
I can use virtually any call to make posts if I wanted to.

Some other thoughts....

1.    Many of the spots come from multi op stations or as in the case of
Italy an operator at the multi op.  You see this is the logs too where a
fairly rare station works a multi op and then the next few calls are
individual ops at the multi op.  As long as the operators don't try to turn
in a log this is perfectly legal (in most contests and certainly by the FCC
in the USA).

2.    I see no reason why someone can't look at say DX Summit during a
contest so long as the station does not use web spots for QSOs.  For example
several years ago in the CQ 160 I spotted V31AH as he was calling CQ with no
answers and was loud and on a clear frequency here.   I was looking for a
rare (for me) SE Asia station on 40 at the time.  This can account for
the single spots that are not bogus (false call) explained earlier.

3.   I have yet to find (K3WW is the exception) that using spots helps a so
called single operator. Of course if we find out they move to Multi Op or
assisted depending on the contest the first time and are DQed the second
time.

I am afraid we are getting far afield from having fun in a contest.

My 2 cents worth

73 Dave K4JRB