[CQ-Contest] CQP Exchange

Jeff Stai WK6I wk6i at twistedoak.com
Fri Oct 3 11:48:47 EDT 2003

At 06:02 AM 10/3/2003, Scott Nichols wrote:
>Can someone please clarify something for me...
>
>For the California QSO party, what do I send as an exchange...QSO number and what??
>
>In the rules, under EXCHANGE, it says that I would send my ARRL Canadian Section, which is MAR...Under MULTIPLIERS, the Canadian mults are the 8 call areas...I'm assuming I send 001 MAR and the CA station counts me as the VE1 mult?
>
>Are NS (VE1), NB (VE9,VE1) and PEI (VY2, VE1) all considered VE1?? I think this is what the rules are getting at...

from the CQP rules (http://www.cqp.org/Rules.html):

"Stations outside of California send QSO number and U.S. State, ARRL
Canadian section, or Country."

and:

"California stations count U.S. states (50) and Canadian call areas
(VO/VE1-7 and VY0/VY1/VE8) for a possible total of 58. VE9 is considered
part of the VE1 call area for this contest. All others use California
counties for a maximum of 58."

>I wish these QSO Parties would migrate to using the 10 provinces and 3 territories for mults...I always seem to get many requests for repeats when sending MAR...

The idea here is that, by using the 8 RAC sections plus 50 states, we get 58
multipliers - which is equal to the 58 counties of CA. Thus, on both sides
of the CA border, the number of multiplier opportunities are the same.

I doubt that this will ever change, unless we get a new county. A few years
back the northern part of Los Angeles county tried to split off, so it is
entirely possible.

>Thanks,
>
>Scott VE1OP

73 & GL - jeff wk6i (Calaveras)