[CQ-Contest] Update - Propagation today, tomorrow, and thenextday...

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Tue Oct 28 21:28:59 EST 2003

>    I wonder if researchers could get access to the LOTW, in addition
> contest weekend logs, to get a full picture of what
> communications were possible during a particular time.
>
>    Unfortunately, it's only a partial answer, since most people don't
> record
> accurate signal strength or station configurations
> against each QSO.
>
> -- Eric K3NA

that is essentially the process I went through using a collection of
contest logs to tune my propagation prediction program.  I went through
a collection of mostly m/m contest logs from various stations around the
world for the period of about a full solar cycle and adjusted the
ionospheric model parameters to better match the predicted openings with
the actual worked ones.  More details are in the documentation with my
mof/lof program on my website.  One of these days when I get bored I may
run more logs, now that decent computing speed is available on a desktop
I should be able to cut the iterations from a week or so (386dx24 that
ran most of the crunching) to maybe a couple hours.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net