[CQ-Contest] QSO B4

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Wed Sep 3 22:17:22 EDT 2003

Barry's comments dredged up an old memory...

During the very early days of computerized contest logging (think CT 6.18
vintage) I was working stations in a domestic contest (no, I don't recall
which one, but I think it was a state QSO party) just for fun and to hand
out a few Q's.

On my 4th contact, a conversation along these lines occurred:

-- W8xxxx QRZ Contest
-- W8xxxx from WN3VAW 59 PA
-- Sorry OM you're a dupe
-- Not possible, I've only worked 3 other stations
-- Sorry, the computer says you're a dupe, so you're a dupe!
-- Look, we haven't worked before, your computer is wrong.
-- Hey, you're a dupe, alright?  Quit being a lid!
-- OK, whatever

About 10 minutes later:
--- K8xxxx from WN3VAW 59 PA
--- WN3VAW thanks from K8xxxx QRZ?
--- WN3VAW from W8xxxx
--- W8xxxx this is not my frequency
--- No wait!  I found a problem in my computer program!  You're not a dupe!
I need to work you!
--- Sorry, not my frequency, K8xxxx thanks for standing by and go ahead

Fortunately, technology has gotten better since then.  I think.

73, ron wn3vaw

"The proprieties must be observed."