[CQ-Contest] LZ DX Contest 2002 results & NEW RULES 2003

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Sep 10 02:42:28 EDT 2003

LZ2CJ replied to ZF2NT's post about having lost about 40% of the Qs in his log
for the 2002 LZ DX test:

>Only QSOs with stations who have worked at least two other participants
>in the contest have been counted as valid. ( This means all unique QSOs from
>your log have been removed ).

I would think Bruce probably gets a few guys calling him just because he's a
ZF & may not work anyone else let alone turn in a log, just like I feel I
do from
VR.

This throw-out-all-uniques thing is also done for the CQ/RJ RTTY contests, but
thankfully the novelty of RTTY contesting has yet to wear off, so I still work
those.

I imagine Bruce is like me, not especially chuffed to have hard-won Qs thrown
out of the log, just because the other guy only worked one of us & hardly
anybody else.

The casual participant is an important part of contesting & they should be
encouraged.  One way to do this is to not discourage us from working them.

The Russian DX test's listing of original & final checked score is probably
something the throw-out-all-uniques crowd should adopt - otherwise leave
those uniques in there...

I'd swear I worked those casual guys - but if the sponsor says the contact
doesn't count, maybe they're right & I should be deleting those uniques from
my logs completely?

Or do we ask each guy we work how many contacts they've made so far &
tell them to bugger off if they hadn't made enough?

I repeat: casual contest participants need to be encouraged.

73, VR2BrettGraham